School Nurse Case Management
In addition to the School Nurse Corps, North Central ESD serves as a Washington School Nurse Case Management site. The Nurse Case Management Program, developed in 2010, is the result of a partnership between Washington State Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) and their Institutional Education and Health Services Departments.
School Nurse Case Managers work with students who are at risk of failing academically due to health-related issues, such as chronic health conditions or emotional concerns that interfere with their ability to participate regularly and fully in school activities. Case Managers work collaboratively with the student, the district’s School Nurse, staff and administrators, providers, parents/families and community agencies, addressing factors that contribute to student absenteeism and poor academic performance and limit student potential.
The objectives of the program are to:
- Improve health and self-management of health conditions
- Increase student attendance
- Improve academic achievement
Since the program’s inception, case management services have been implemented in eleven school districts in Educational Service Districts 171, 123 and 113. Districts were selected based on multiple risk factors such as high levels of poverty and unemployment, and a demonstrated need for more school nursing hours.
The Washington School Nurse Case Management Program is supported by Federal Title 1 Part D, Health Services funding. Districts eligible for case management services meet specific criteria outlined in the Title 1, Part D program and demonstrate a need for increased nursing hours as documented by the Washington State Assessment of District Student Health Services. Funding in North Central Washington supports School Nurse Case Management in two school districts.
- Student Entry Survey
- Student Entry Survey 2
- Intake/Annual Assessment Form
- Initial Student Assessment_Grades 6-12
- Initial Student Assessment_Grades K -5
- Academic WIG Planner
- Referral Form
- Authorization for Exchange of Medical Information
- SNCM Site Visit Form
Check and Connect © Forms:
- Student Engagement
- Student Engagement Plan
- Relationship Building
- Goal Setting
- Monitoring: Elementary School
- Monitoring: Middle School
- Monitoring: High School
- Pyramid Intervention Supports
- Nurse Case Manager/Mentor Caseload Summary
- Form Editing Instructions
Motivational Interviewing (MI)
- Glossary Of Motivational Interviewing Terms. A supplementary resource to Motivational Interviewing, Third Edition, by William R. Miller and Stephen Rollnick. Copyright 2013 by The Guilford Press.
- School Nurse and Motivational Interviewing. A recorded NASN webinar introduces Motivational Interviewing techniques and the role of the school nurse in incorporating MI in student and parent interactions. (34:07 – Access to recording requires NASN account) PowerPoint Slides
- Introduction to Motivational Interviewing. Author Bill Matulich presents the basic concepts of Motivational Interviewing (MI) (17.22).
- Native American Learners Motivational Interviewing Manual– A Learner’s Manual for the American Indian/Alaska Native Counselor. Motivational Interviewing considerations and techniques for Native American populations.
- Native American Motivational Interviewing: Weaving Native American and Western Practices – A Manual for Counselors in Native American Communities. (2006)
Manuals and Tools:
- SNCM Program Manual
- SNCM FileMaker Documentation
- SNCM Orientation Overview
- Standards of Practice for Case Management
- Teaching Attendance Manual
- Teaching Attendance 2.0 Summary
© 2018 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved.