Monthly Resources – September 2022
Published September 10, 2022
Free Resources from Seize the Awkward to Promote Peer Support
Seize the Awkward may be an ideal first step in preparing a class, club, or entire student body for focused suicide prevention activities. Pronouns used are intentionally gender neutral.
Immediate purpose: Promote peer support. “It’s reported that 76% of young adults will turn to a peer in a time of crisis for support.”
Long-term purpose: Prevent suicide, normalize talking about feelings.
- Campus Toolkit with 50+ posters, loads of GIFs and Instagram images.
- Partner Toolkit includes a Fact Sheet, Talking Points, Brand Guidelines and more.
- Dos and Don’ts page
Resources available online:
- Celebrity videos emphasizing the mental health benefits of peer support.
- Resources to “find the right words for any scenario,” as well as additional articles and animated videos to help youth cope with various challenges.
- A section to Learn the Signs that a peer is struggling
- Help Starting the Conversation
- Help During the Conversation
- Help After the Conversation
A Get Help section directs the user to 911 in an emergency, 988 in a crisis or other resources as appropriate.
Seize the Awkward was created in partnership by The JED Foundation, the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, and the Ad Council.