North Central Educational Service District (NCESD) has announced the call for nominations for the regional Teacher of the Year. The deadline to nominate is March 1, 2020.
School districts throughout the NCESD’s four-county service district are encouraged to nominate outstanding teachers for this distinguished award. Any public-school teacher who has a current certificate, works directly with students for at least 50% of his/her time, and plans to continue teaching through 2020 – 21 is eligible.
A committee will review all nomination submissions and select a winner who will represent and advance as the NCESD candidate for the State Teacher of the Year.
Each year, the State of Washington’s Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction recognizes as many as ten regional finalists and selects one state Teacher of the Year annually. This state Teacher of the Year is Washington’s nominee for the National Teacher of the Year.
Washington’s educational service districts each select a Regional Teacher of the Year. The state selection committee chooses one of these Regional Teachers of the Year as the Washington State Teacher of the Year. The committee uses the written application, interviews, and a mock keynote to decide which candidate best exemplifies the Teacher of the Year criteria:
- The teacher has the respect of their community.
- The teacher is knowledgeable in their field and guides students of all backgrounds and abilities to achieve excellence.
- The teacher collaborates with colleagues, students, and families to create a school culture of respect and success.
- The teacher deliberately connects the classroom and key stakeholders to foster a strong community at large.
- The teacher demonstrates leadership and innovation in and outside of the classroom walls that embodies lifelong learning.
- The teacher expresses themselves in an engaging and effective way.
Currently, Malia Renner-Singer of Cascade High School is the regional Teacher of the Year. In 2017, Camille Jones of the Quincy School District was selected as the regional winner, and went on to be selected as the Washington State Teacher of the Year.
Nominations can be made on the OSPI website at: http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/5412157/2021-Teacher-of-the-Year-Nomination